* 1 bunch(es) scallions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
* 2 clove(s) garlic, chopped
* 1 jalapeno chile, chopped (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat)
* 2 tablespoon(s) freshly squeezed lime juice
* 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil, plus more for grates
* 1 tablespoon(s) light-brown sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
* 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
* Coarse salt
* 8 piece(s) bone-in chicken (drumsticks and thighs), skinned and trimmed of excess fat
1. Make marinade: In a blender, combine scallions, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, oil, sugar,
allspice, thyme, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons water; blend until smooth. Set
aside 1/4 cup for brushing.
2. Place chicken in a shallow dish; season all over with salt. Pour remaining marinade over
chicken; toss to coat. Cover; refrigerate, turning once or twice, at least 2 hours, or up to
3. Heat grill to medium-high; oil grates. Lift chicken from marinade, letting excess drip off
(discard marinade); place on grill, and cover. Cook, turning occasionally, until chicken is
blackened in spots, about 10 minutes.
4. Move chicken to a cooler part of the grill; brush with reserved marinade. Grill, covered,
until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 Servings