Grilled Tandoori Chicken
* 1 chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces and skin removed
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 1/2 tablespoons water
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
* 1/2 cup plain yogurt
* 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
* 3 tablespoons cooking oil
1. Light the grill. Using a sharp knife, cut shallow incisions in the chicken pieces at about
1/2-inch intervals. In a large, glass dish or stainless-steel pan, combine the lemon juice, water,
salt, and turmeric. Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat. Let the chicken pieces marinate
for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, and
cayenne. Add to the chicken and lemon mixture; turn to coat. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, basting with oil, for 10 minutes. Turn and cook,
basting with the remaining oil, until just done, about 10 minutes longer for the breasts, 12 for
the thighs and drumsticks.
Makes 4 Servings